Saturday 16 October 2010

Reflection

As I walked out of the Britannia Hotel in the grounds of Newcastle Airport I took a deep head-clearing breath, let it out, felt the calm wash over me and smiled.

I've done it.  I've finished my philosophy module.

I don't think anyone quite fully understood how important this was to me.  Well it was, and it was important for the following reasons:

  1. It's the first OU module I've actually completed since 2005 (due to cancelling modules for various personal reasons and doing my foundation degree etc).
  2. It's the first level 3 module I've done so it's also the most challenging one I've done.
  3. It's a level 3 philosophy module...  Need I say more.
 I certainly don't think by any stretch of the imagination that I've done as well in the exam as I did in my TMA's, but I'd be very surprised if I had to resit put it that way.  And how many people get to say that in their exam they had to answer questions about robots, zombies and Humpty Dumpty; my favourite bits of the module!

While I was winding down from it yesterday I started to reflect on the time I'd actually spent on it and decided that while I've done quite well on it, I've not put anywhere near the effort possible for this module.  The OU has SO much information which is available at your fingertips; library resources filled with journals and book extracts and more, online games to help you cement your knowledge, module forums where you can quiz your fellow students.

It's tough when you're studying part time and have other commitments alongside but I've made the promise to myself that for this last module I'll try and make the most of all of the available resources; go to tutorials, keep in touch with the tutor, have a presence on the module forum etc etc ad infinitum.

And it all begins today.

2 comments:

  1. "... As I walked out of the Britannia Hotel in the grounds of Newcastle Airport I took a deep head-clearing breath, let it out, felt the calm wash over me and smiled ..." - For a moment I thought you were going to present us a novel in episodes. I mean, what a beautiful opening sentence.

    So many students, so many stories. I can't say that I know you very well but afaik you wanted to prove something, to the world, but most of all to yourself. You have proved it. That must feel really good.

    I hope that you stay around we might need your advice one day, or when we hopefully come as close as you.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exam is only one small step along my lifelong journey and I have a long way to go so I'll be sticking around for a while yet have no fear ;o)

    Thanks for the comment Nilo x

    ReplyDelete